Short Assignment #7: Reflection on Research

Who is your intended audience?

My audience are gamers who are aware of the toxicity but do not think it is a big deal and people who are not gamers

How do you address the needs of your audience?

I addressed my gamer audience who didn’t think it was a big deal by showing the consequences of trolling and bringing up that women have been in video games ever since it started. I addressed my non-gamer audience by making sure all of the gamer terms were easily described and by giving them an explanation of how the online gaming community uses trash talking.

What is your purpose in this essay?

The purpose of this essay was to bring to light the toxic nature of the gaming community and to hopefully find a way to end this toxicity.

What did you know about your subject before researching it?

I knew a good amount about the subject before researching it because I have experienced the sexism from the online gaming community not as much as other female gamers 

What new knowledge about the subject have you acquired?

I did not know that women have been in video games ever since it started. The first programmers were women

What sources were key in providing that knowledge?

Academic sources because they spent a lot of time gathering data that others haven’t gathered which was extremely useful for me because I had a vast amount of data that I could use for the paper.

One thought on “Short Assignment #7: Reflection on Research”

1. Hi Gia:
    This is thoughtfully done.
    I wonder if your main audience might very well be gamers rather than non-gamers, no?
    Still, you are thoughtful about relating some of what you’ve learned, although perhaps needing to develop that section further.
    I’d also like to see specific references to sources that you found helpful.